Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The art of journal reading

So apparently, results are pretty important when one reads a journal article.  I have always been told that if you want to quickly get the gist of an article, read the tables.  For the literature summary that I'm doing on neurocysticercosis (the wiki is rather...lacking in details about NCC), I went straight through the paper and looked for the important points.  The problem is, I didn't analyze any of it, didn't question the authors' assumptions, data, or methdology.  I assumed that since they were smart and probably knew what they were doing (much more so than someone who doesn't even have a college degree yet), my mentor would simply want a summary of the paper.

Not so.  I arrived at our meeting today expecting to go through the paper quickly, answer a few questions I had, and leave.  Two hours and no sunshine later, I left with a new article to analyze, and a new assignment: don't assume, question everything, and get this done in two days.  Time to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment